The Children’s Art Project (CAP) is a nonprofit organization which raises money to help make life better for children with cancer. Funds are raised through the worldwide sales of seasonal note cards and merchandise which are imprinted with artwork produced by pediatric patients at MD Anderson Cancer Hospital. Many of the greeting cards are sold as static runs and in retail stores, but custom cards and envelopes can be ordered.
Historically, imprinted cards and envelopes had been produced using a small single-color offset press to overprint the name onto offset printed full-color shells. The overprinting method incurred considerable waste as a certain set amount of shells had to be purchased. If they weren’t used the shells would either be thrown out or sold wholesale. There were also costs arising from inventory storage.
The ordering process was cumbersome and prone to errors. Many orders came in by phone or fax, and then had to be keyed into CAP’s internal system by temporary workers or volunteers. Although customers could place orders on the CAP website, CAP personnel still had to manually enter the orders into the proprietary CAP system to maintain a record of the orders. The whole process required a rather long turnaround time of two to three weeks.
Results: ImageSet set up an online catalog for CAP that contained all of the available cards. The web-to-print solution has streamlined the ordering and production process and has enabled CAP to offer new products and features.
- Errors due to inaccurate data input were significantly reduced
- Turnaround time was cut from two to three weeks to less than five business days
- Labor costs for order processing were trimmed as customers were able to place their own orders online
- Approximately 70% of orders now come in via the online store
- Instead of multiple temporary workers CAP now only needs one person during the peak season
- With print-on-demand availability customers have more options & can preview their card